*This is a guest post by Avanti *
Turmeric is a popular spice in India and you won’t find any house without it. It has been used in India for thousands of years and is a major part of Ayurvedic medicine.
It was first used as a dye and then later for its possible medicinal properties. It is believed that a pinch of turmeric in your food everyday prevents various life threatening diseases.
It plays a vital role in almost every Indian cuisine. It has been a proven and time tested home remedy as antiseptic for any small cuts or burns.
It is also a very important part of homemade granny’s beauty solutions. These days its benefit has been very well utilized by the top cosmetics brands that boast of turmeric as one of their key ingredients.
Turmeric for Your Skin?
Across traditions and modern day beauty care, turmeric has found its niche in the beauty industry. Organic or non-organic, online or off the shelf you will find various options of beauty products with turmeric as a key ingredient.
Skin pigmentation can be reduced with turmeric as it is a solid antioxidant and can protect your skin against free radicals.
Many antioxidants, such as turmeric, have cleansing properties that help rid the body of free radicals that can be toxic and harmful. When these toxins are removed from the body, skin cells begin to function optimally and are relieved by oxidative stress.
A Topical Turmeric Face Mask
There are various methods of using Turmeric for beauty purposes. From treating a nasty pimple to reducing your skin’s pigmentation or even for the beautiful glow. Here is my favorite turmeric face mask for zapping zits as well as an awesome turmeric face mask for skin lightening!
An Amazing Acne Mask
To make a solid acne-fighting mask, simply:
- Mix equal parts turmeric and sandalwood paste
- Stir until evenly combined
- Apply it on the pimple and leave it overnight
- You may need to use it for 2-3 nights until it’s completely gone
This mask works wonders on me with 1-2 nights usage. It naturally flattens the zit and leaves no mark behind, nor does it dye your skin that telltale yellow color.
A Simple Skin Lightening Mask
If you want to gradually lighten your skin, just:
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with a teaspoon natural oil such as olive oil, coconut oil or even almond oil
- You can play around with your measurements but you want to create a spreadable paste, so don’t add too much oil
- If you have oily skin mix your turmeric with lime juice instead of oil
- Spread your paste evenly over your skin and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water and pat dry
If you have acne the lime juice mask is an excellent treatment to try out as it will not only help to lighten your skin but it will help to zap dirt and bacteria, ultimately helping to clear up your acne.
Do you have a turmeric face mask you love? Share it with me in the comment section below.