I always see my girlfriends out buying the latest, ridiculously priced facial mask—and every time I can’t help but think: why?
I have long been a convert to natural, homemade face mask recipes: they work just as well—or even better—than anything available on store shelves, they’re quick to make and don’t contain any of those harmful chemicals that damage your skin in the long term.
Plus, they are even cheaper to make!
Here are some of my favourite homemade face mask recipes to keep your skin glowing throughout Autumn, and to prepare it for the gruelling Winter ahead.
My Favourite Homemade Face Mask Recipes
A Slick Cleanser
To really cleanse your skin naturally and open up your pores, try cleansing your face with oil. I know, it sounds wacky but in fact, oil works far better than any cleanser out there.
Because oil helps to dissolve and break down facial oils and helps to give you a deeper cleanse than any product out there. If you want a better explanation, check out V’s breakdown on the Oil Cleansing Method.
The process is simple:
- Mix equal parts of Olive Oil with pure Castor Oil (for the ratios for dry or oily skin, click here)
- Rub it all over your face for about 2 minutes
- Take a steaming hot and damp face cloth and place it over your face
- Leave the cloth there until it cools down
- Wipe the oil off your face with the cool, damp towel
Once your face is clean, it’s time to treat it. Here are 3 different homemade face mask recipes for the various skin types.
For the Dry Skinned Beauties
Face masks are unbelievably easy for all you ladies suffering from the dreaded parched skin.
All you need is:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of warmed honey (I tend to wrap my heat pack around the jar for a minute or two, which doesn’t damage the honey’s natural goodies, but you can also just microwave it for a few seconds)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Mix these together, massage the concoction into your skin and leave for 15 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry
For Girls with Greasy Skin
If you’re one – like me – enduring the pain that is very oily skin, fret not!
I have been through many different facial masks, but the one that’s helped me the most is this slightly grim sounding oatmeal & onion mask. It’s a 5 minute wonder!
All you need is:
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of honey (again warmed)
- ⅓ cup of normal oatmeal
- 1 yellow or white onion.
From there, just:
- Pour the boiling water over the oatmeal, and give it a couple minutes to soak
- While you’re waiting, stick the onion in a food processor to make it a smooth puree
- Add the honey & onion to the oatmeal while it’s still warm
- Spread it on for about 10 minutes for a radiant look!
For the Combination Chicks
For those with combination skin, I have a mask that is perfect for you !
What you’ll need is:
- Some fresh rose petals
- 2 tablespoons of rosewater
- 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt (make sure it’s the full fat stuff)
- 1 tablespoon of the amazing warm honey
Once you have all of that rounded up, simply:
- Soak the rose petals for several minutes
- Once soaked, just crush ‘em and add the rest of the ingredients
- Apply and leave on for about ten minutes
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry
Remember, these are just a few of my favourite homemade face mask recipes—everyone’s skin is different, and the perfect facial mask is waiting for you. You just have to find what works best with your skin!
However, if these just aren’t cutting it for you, try experimenting with bananas, avocados, lemons, orange juice and brown sugar—or whatever else you can find around the house!
Remember as we move into Fall you are going to want to nourish and protect your skin before Old Man Winter gets here and ravages that flawless face of yours.
Rose is an avid beauty blogger who frequently writes about new and exciting beauty products. When she is not writing, Rose can be found perusing the virtual shopping aisles for natural skin care products from Love Your Skin.