My sister is a hoarder of beauty products. When she was really little she used to spend all of her allowance buying the latest lip gloss, chap or stick on the market. She literally has buckets full of these products.
A few weeks ago I helped her move into a new apartment and low and behold, I uncovered more of her treasures; Jessica Simpson Dessert Beauty.
So if you do the math, my sister has been safeguarding edible products for nearly a decade. Gnarly!
Anyways, what I’m really trying to get at is, unearthing this edible skin care made me think I should make some of my own.
I’ve been preaching this for some time now, but why put something on your skin that you wouldn’t put in your body? If you can make it taste great, all the better. That being said, here are a few recipes you can use to make homemade edible skin care.
My 3 Favourite Edible Skin Care Remedies
Everyone needs a good exfoliation and this is the tastiest recipe for it. All you need is:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons crushed almonds
- 1 teaspoon almond milk
I know, 2 ingredients! Holla!
From there you just:
- Mix together your crushed almonds and almond milk in a small bowl
- Rub this blend vigorously over your face to slough away any dead skin cells and dirt that may be clogging your pores
- One minute of hearty exfoliation should do the trick
- Rinse off your almond exfoliator and seal in the goodness with your favourite moisturizer – I love V’s homemade moisturizer which also happens to be edible and quite yummy…just ask her husband who she caught smearing it on his chicken! No joke.
Crushed almonds are not only great for exfoliating, but they help prevent wrinkles from forming. Win! They also make a fantastic snack. Double win!
Beauty for Breakfast
I love a good bowl of wheat-free oats in the morning, but have to add in some mashed banana to make it taste better. What a happy coincidence that this also makes a fantastic face mask.
To make this yourself, gather together:
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/3 cup oats
Once you have your ingredients together, simply:
- Mix all of your ingredients together until they form a smooth paste
- Slather this mask all over your clean face and let it soak in for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, rinse off the mask
- Pat your face dry and of course, moisturize
The best part about this mask is you can enjoy the leftovers for breakfast if you like. I just heat mine up a little.
Another bonus of this mask is that it is great for anti-aging and fighting acne, thanks to the enzymes in bananas.
Lickable Body Butter
Ohhh la la! How racy!
For all you chocoholics out there, you’re going to want to give this homemade body butter a try. All you will need is:
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Once you’ve got your sexy ingredients together, just:
- Blend all of your ingredients together in a food processor so they become nice and smooth
- Pour into a resealable jar and place in fridge to set
- Smear it all over your body and find a sexy hunk to lick it all off
Wait. Did I just say that out loud? *looks around all bashful*
Cocoa is full of antioxidants that are great for anti-aging, while coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer. You’ll want to lick this tasty body butter right off your skin.
Tip: Don’t use this on your face. Coconut oil is highly comedogenic which means it can clog your pores.
Alright, now it’s your turn! Do you have any edible skin care treats you like to make? Dish ’em below so we can all test them out!